Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday Funday! -A list!

Happy Wednesday!
I wanted to do something different, and give you guys another glimpse into my life. Last year I wrote a short post called "Things You're Automatically Good At When You Have A Boyfriend." Because, apparently there's some magical thing that happens when you start dating a guy that enhances your awesomeness and abilities. Well, I have a boyfriend, and that magical knowing thing is a load of hooey.

Here is a list of things I'm still not very good at, and/or I'm working on learning

1. How to cut guys hair. This one time, when I didn't have a boyfriend, my friend Matt needed his hair cut. It was at the beginning of the semester, and he had been at school/touring with his singing group all summer. He needed a trim. So I volunteered. I had never done it before, but, come on...how hard can it be, right? Yeah, it was a mess. The lines were crooked, and I cut one side too short. Thank GOD Ashley was there to fix my mistake. We didn't tell Matt until it was all over. We all had a good laugh over it. Our friend Michael asked me to give him a trim later that semester, and that time was better, but still not perfect. I'm working on it.

2. How to tie a tie. Seriously, I'm the worst. I went through this phase of being obsessed with "Gossip Girl" (didn't we all?) and Serena van der Woodsen would  wear a tie with basically everything. I needed to do that. So I acquired a crest-laden skinny tie (my grandfather's), and I tied it...into a knot. Not a Windsor, or a half-Windsor, but a legit knot. I Googled it, tied it again, and then decided I wasn't brave enough to actually wear the outfit. Now, my boyfriend is self-sufficient, and has been and currently is a member of different groups that require ties, so he's golden. But, darn it, I'm gonna learn! I will [someday] master the Eldredge Knot!

3. Understanding Why Grilling is OK in February. Seriously, in my house, when our grill goes away in September, it stays covered until May. Grilling is for warmtimes: springtime and summertime. You just sit on the deck, drinking tea, and smelling the charcoal. You don't run out in the middle of winter to fire up the grill! But, apparently, you do. Those were the best Valentine's Day steaks ever, and I'm sorry I ever doubted the genius of year-round grilling.

Bonus: Something I'm kind of good at:
-Knowing things about sports. I've always liked sports! I played soccer for seven years, I've always bled Penn State Blue and White (it's a family thing), and I attended a college with a very successful athletics program. College Basketball had kind of always been my thing. I'm a Duke fan, and if you know anything about that, you'll be shocked to hear that my boyfriend is a UNC fan. It's been a rough season... for one of us. When I first met him, I soon found out that he was going to school for my literal dream job: A sportscaster/commentator. I would have said "yes" right then and there if he had asked me.  BUT, that's mushy-gushy stuff for another time.
I rarely ask questions during games. Not because of the "Thou Shalt Not Interrupt A Man While He Is Watching Sports" rule, but because I know what's going on about 80% of the time. (The other 20% is stats/NFL).  And I know what's going on because I want to know and because my daddy taught me well; Not because I feel the need to impress my boyfriend. He has told me multiple times that he wouldn't care if I didn't know anything about sports. It's just an added bonus that I can keep up with him and I'm willing to sit for a few hours and cheer on whatever team we're watching. Unless it's UNC. I will NOT cheer for UNC.

So, I want to know, what are some things you had to learn when you started dating?

Shine Bright!
-s.

1 comment :

  1. We both know that I don't have a boyfriend, so I'm not automatically good at anything, but I can cut hair like a pro. I gave my first hair cut ever at the district swim team shaving party. Three more guys lined up. I also shaved a sick looking checkerboard into some leg hair.

    ReplyDelete