Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Working Theatre Manifesto


This was my final, working manifesto for my senior seminar in the fall of 2010. It's pretty self-explanatory. Questions/comments always welcome. 

Theatre is what I thrive on, and what motivates me. It’s where I can go and be completely surrounded by people who have a passion for the same things I do. 
I am wired to create. 
David Mamet, in his book “True and False,” says "Art is an expression of joy and awe. It is not an attempt to share one's virtues and accomplishments with the audience, but an act of selfless spirit."  He tells me that I have a gift to share; not for my own good, but for the good of the people observing the art that I have created.

When Liesl and I led a kid’s theatre camp at her church, one of the campers, AJ, completely captured my heart. On opening night, we all stood in a circle and joined hands to pray, and AJ was the second person to pray, and what he said moved me to tears. The simpleness of hearing a child say “God, help us to remember when we’re performing tonight that we’re doing it for your glory” struck a chord deep within my spirit. I have carried that sentence in my soul ever since. What AJ said is going to be a constant reminder for me as I continue my life and work in the theatre.

The theatre I believe in involves a give and take relationship. In a production, no matter what role a person is playing, they are constantly asked to pour forth and take in ideas, emotions, reactions, directions. Theatre, while not always outrightly asking the audience to participate, still requires some sort of emotional response from the spectators. Todd Johnson says “theatre (like “sacramental” or presence filled worship) is a process that demands our participation.” In the same way, our relationship with God begs, pleads, pines for some kind of response from Him. 

The theatre I believe in is honest, and I know that the biggest, most difficult gift to give is that of honesty. God requires of us our whole hearts, and I feel that as theatre artists we cheat the audience if we are not completely honest in our performance, or presentation of our gifts. Being  open to anything that happens onstage is the epitome of honesty. I have learned that while working with a scene partner I can find honesty within them, and then together, we can convey that honesty to the audience.
Theatre must be an open line of communication; between the director and actors, the actors and the audience, and ultimately, between God and His children. We have to remember that what we do we do for God’s glory, and for the enjoyment of others; but it shouldn't be an inward achievement checklist for us to cross off.

The theatre I believe in is spiritual. Why? Because there is no denying that we are spiritual beings. An article in Relevant Magazine stated: "True art taps into the spiritual realm. When artists are being authentic, they reflect the truest expression of who they are--either revealing aspects of their weakness or reflecting the heart of their Creator. Those expressions can inform our spiritual journey, and God can reveal Himself to us through them. Because we are spiritual beings, all true art-even secular eventually reveals the sacred."

I want to be spiritual; in my art and in my life.
I want to be honest; onstage and in offstage.
I want to be creative; to reflect the work of my creator,
 for the enjoyment of the audience; not for my own enjoyment.
I want to do all of these things for the Glory of God.

No comments :

Post a Comment