Thursday, May 16, 2013

What I Wore- 4/26/2013 (Photo Set)



One morning my friend Ashley posted on Facebook wondering if she could pull of a maxi dress even though she's on the short side. My friend Luke and I were planning to see one of our former students sing opera choruses at his university that evening, and I had struggled for days with what to wear. But Ashley's question inspired me. 

I assured her that yes, she could! Just find one with a nice pattern and pair it with some high wedges. Or if you pick a solid, you can belt it! The trick is to show off your shoulders, so a strapless or thin-strapped dress is perfect. (Capped sleeves are also always a good option).

 Throw on a cute cropped jacket or sweater over it, to change the look completely. Add a fab pair of platforms that will elongate your legs, and make the whole dress fall easier. Make sure your accessories that highlight your face and arms-dangle earrings, bangles, or a statement ring would be perfect. The other important thing is to try before you buy. Not all maxi dresses are made the same. They have different waistlines, lengths, bodices etc… it’s important to know what kind of maxi dress fits your body type! 
The good news is, lots of stores have these dresses for cheap, so you aren't in danger of breaking the bank. Target has great ones, which is where I purchased both of mine. (In addition to the one in the picture, I have a solid yellow one.) If you want to splurge, Nordstrom has a wide variety of maxis. Really, they can be found anywhere. It just depends on how much you want to spend!

I’m a huge advocate for wedges, and my favorites are the Dolce Vita ones I’m wearing in the picture below. They’re comfortable and super cute. I've had them for two years and I wear them with dresses, jeans, skirts, and shorts. Dolce Vita brand can be found in many department stores, so don't sweat the price! As usual, I got mine at Target.  Once again, try before you buy! 
I carried a brown leather purse and a took a jean jacket. The jean jacket makes it casual, but sometimes I'll wear a white cropped sweater over the dress. I wore pink drop earrings that were a gift from my sister, and I pulled my hair back into a maiden braid and pinned the rest to the side. 

Maxi dresses are appropriate for weddings, going out with friends, or a nice walk downtown. Really, you can't go wrong! So go wild, and find one that fits your personal style! 

Shine Bright
-S. 





My ring is from Lia Sophia, and my nail polish is "I Just Blue Myself" by Wet n Wild. 


Camera: Canon Rebel t3



No comments :

Post a Comment